Monday, April 27, 2009

Too Good To Be True



I should have known that things were going a little too easily. Campbell's been so precious so far, I couldn't imagine anything being wrong.

We had her first doctor visit today, and I should have been a little more prepared for them to tell us she was jaundiced. After all, the pediatrician at the hospital had mentioned her bilirubin level was 7.7, but hadn't peaked yet. And when my brother Jesse (a pediatrician) was here over the weekend, he said she was probably about an 11 at that point. Campbell's pedi was concerned, and I'm no longer an exclusive breastfeeder. :( In order to increase her eliminations, we have to supplement after every feeding with an ounce of formula (more on this later). I was feeling pretty bummed, and on top of that, the doc sent us over to Medical Center of Lewisville to have a blood draw done, and we'll have to go again tomorrow to have her levels checked again. He said we want to stay under 20 or 22, and today she was at 14.7. Depending on the reading tomorrow, we may have to do photo-therapy at home, or possibly even admit her if it's high enough - but the doctor didn't seem to think that was going to be likely.

I wasn't prepared for how affected I was going to be by the blood test. In order to draw enough blood, the lab tech did a heel prick, then just squeezed and squeezed on Campbell's foot until the tube was full. I held her other leg out of the way, and by the end of the test, Campbell was screaming and crying - I know part of it was also because it was past time for her to nurse, and I felt so helpless just standing there staring at my brand new little girl in such pain. After we were done, I was in tears and the lab tech let us use another room so I could nurse there so we wouldn't have to wait to go all the way home. Thank goodness!

When we got back, we pulled out the bottles that I was intending to have used for expressed breastmilk and a sample pack of formula that thankfully we'd received in the mail, and I prepared a couple of ounces so we'd have some ready for the next feeding. That was an adventure all of its own. At first, I thought it was going to go really well. She nursed just over 20 minutes, and was taking the bottle just fine. I'm using Playtex Drop-Ins, and one of the features is the ability to squeeze the excess air out of the little bag. I tried that on the first one and managed to bust it open. Garett fixed another one, and Campbell was doing well with it, too, for about a minute. Then, explosion. She spit up all the formula she'd taken, plus probably all the breast milk from the last two feedings. I don't know if the formula just upset her tummy, if she was traumatized from the hospital visit, or if it was just time for her to let me know while she's still an angel, I shouldn't expect perfection.

We were planning on giving her a bath tonight anyway, so she just got it a little earlier than expected.




On another note, I've got to figure out a way to keep my right foot elevated more during the day...



4 comments:

Christine said...

The heel pricks are the WORST! I got emotional over that too. You'll be making bottles in your sleep someday and laugh at how hard the first one was. The ankles are the last to go so at least it's a sign that your body is getting rid of all the extra water.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh... she is beautiful Margaret!! They will do another heel prick at 2 weeks. It's awful, but neither one of my kids talks about it now, so chances are, Campbell will forget about it pretty soon :)

Sending lots of love!

Unknown said...

She's still gorgeous, Marge! And try not to worry too much about the jaundice - Will had that, too, and Lynne and Chris had to do the photo-therapy at home - they said it really wasn't bad. Oh, and don't let anyone tell you anything negative about supplementing with formula - you do what you and your dr. think are right for that beautiful girl. You're doing great!

Brandy G said...

Poor Campbell - wait until she is big enough that they draw the blood from her finger. Even though they cry, I'm still convinced all the pricks and shots end up being far worse for Mommy to endure than baby. ;)