Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Admission Ticket

Well, this week is certainly turning out differently than expected. I came in Monday for my regular appt., expecting my blood pressure to still be borderline, no progress as far as movement toward labor, and a directive to go home, remain on bed rest, see ya next week.

Instead, my bp was still creeping - 140/100 - and there was a trace of protein in my urine. Another non-stress test went well, but the doc decided it was time to admit me so they could do further observation and make sure I wasn't developing preeclampsia. They also went ahead and did a new sonogram, and my fluid level was on the very bottom end of normal. On the plus side, they have a series of measurements they do for fetal health, and baby got an 8 out of 8. Combined with a couple of tests from me, together we were running 10/10, so no signs of immediate danger.

I got registered and admitted into a room on the third floor opposite labor and delivery - Women and Infants/High Risk OB. They took my bp and it had come down some, and wanted to do another non-stress. This one was pretty cool, b/c in addition to seeing the baby's heart beat, they were also tracking contractions. I knew I'd been feeling some, but it was a nice validation to see them being tracked, and also to see how the baby's movement correlated with the timing of the contractions. After an hour of monitoring, they decided we were all good. Garett came up to spend the afternoon with me, and I settled in for what I was afraid was going to be quite a while. I was only 1 cm dilated, and the doc threw some comment out re: how we might be here until 39 weeks. (An additional week and a half, for those keeping track. )

I was very unhappy about the prospect of (1) spending 10 days in the hospital on my back, (2) taking off of work so early, which would mean that much less time off after the baby came, and (3) and mostly - just really bummed out at the way the whole pregnancy was ending. Ever so often I'd throw a little pity party - this isn't the way it was supposed to go! I was supposed to be at home, start feeling contractions, get all excited!! tell Garett, labor until I was 511 (contractions five minutes apart, lasting one minute, for an hour), then have the rushed drive to the hospital with great anticipation, and then baby!!!

I still wish I would get that experience, but I know it's much more important for the baby's and my health that we do what is medically responsible. After two days here and a number of tests and labs, the doc is fairly certain I don't have pre-e, just gestational hypertension. However, there is still a chance that could progress, and with the amniotic fluid being low, and the fact that I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow, he's made the decision to induce. (Low amniotic fluid could lead to cord problems.)

So - they'll start me on some medication tonight to 'get things going', then begin the full induction process tomorrow. As long as my body and the baby cooperate, mark you calendars for a Baby T birthdate of April 23. !! :)

**Also wanted to say a special thanks to everyone for all your phone calls, texts, facebook messages, and especially to Lisa for stopping by w/ books, magazines and a cross stitch that I think is the only thing that kept me sane yesterday - you're too thoughtful!!**

No comments: