Monday, December 29, 2008

Bumpers and Quilts and Pillows, oh my!

So, who knew there were so many potentially hazardous materials literally laying (lieing?) in wait to SUFFOCATE THE BABY!

Apparently, that adorable bumper is a just a vicious, breath-stealing monster in disguise. I don't know how much I buy into it all, but I guess better safe than sorry. The Patchwork Pooh set I was considering from Babies 'R Us is nearly $200, and that seems like an awful lot to spend on a crib sheet and dust ruffle, since we won't be using the bumper and quilt for more than decoration. I've found the set on ebay, so we may be going used - and I can always strip the bumper and use that fabric as a valance...

This, again apparently, is the 'safer, healthier' option for a bumper: http://www.breathablebaby.com/

It's available at BRU, too, so even though I don't think the crib will be nearly as cute, function over form may win out this time.

129 days to go.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Yeah ... here's my theory:

If the baby is able to roll around in the crib, they're able to roll themselves AWAY from the crib bumper - the same as they rolled into it. For the record, I use one because Davis hasn't figured out how to roll anywhere yet. You can always remove it once the baby becomes mobile.

Brandy G said...

We never had any issues with Paige and the bumper in her crib - but every baby is different and will be fascinated by different things. I think usually by the time they are old enough to figure out how to get it over their face, though, they are also old enough to take it back off. Paige actually has two to three blankets that stay in her crib and more often then not when I peek in to check on her as she's sleeping she has one semi-pulled across her face. Go figure.