Monday, July 27, 2009

I Hope I Never Forget...



...how my heart jumped and how fiercely I cried in joy when Garett said 'it's a girl!'.

...how helpless she was when she was first born, before she could even lift her head to look in our eyes.

...how amazed we were that something so beautiful came from us.

...how she slumped down in her car seat on the way home from the hospital, because she was so little, even the infant seat was too big.

...how worried we were those first two weeks when she was still trying to beat the jaundice, and wasn't gaining weight.

...how powerfully it hurt me to hear her cries during the bilirubin screenings.

...how nervous we were the first time we gave her a big girl bath.

...how excited we were when we took her in for a weight check, and she was finally back to her birth weight.

...how hard we both laughed at her startle reflex after G let out a huge belch.

...how her little body gets heavier and she loses all muscle composure when she gets really tired.

...how her head smells after a shampoo.

...how thrilled we were the first time she rolled, and how we watched with anticipation and the camera rolling to make sure we caught it the next time.

...the weight of her head against my shoulder.

...the sound of her coo, her laugh and her little baby sneezes and coughs.

...the way she's strengthened my love for Garett and made the two of us into a family.
I know there are a million more memories to come, but I pray as time passes I never lose these precious ones from Campbell's first three months.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh...this is so sweet, you made me get all teary-eyed at work!